It is very simple, and it goes like this:
- Alberta is developing the sands and raking in the oil money as fast as it can.
- The amount of oil sands in Alberta is not infinite.
- When the rigs dry out, all there is left will be the disastrous environment impact and attendant clean-up bill.
- The Environment falls under federal jurisdiction.
- Just as Alberta is reluctant to share the wealth, it will be quick to foist the prohibitive clean-up bills on the Feds.
- Meanwhile, thanks to Alberta, the rest of the country is slowing down the pace of economic growth in order to meet Kyoto targets.
- Ergo, Alberta will bankrupt the Government of Canada in 50 years.
However you cut it, it is a rotten deal for the Feds. I say, let them go now, before it is too late.